Tuesday 12 May 2015

A LEVEL ENGLISH LITERATURE


Literature: in many cases a hypnotic manipulation of words to subdue the senses - is an art. In my opinion, anyway. When you witness something that your eyes cannot help but become interwoven with - a painting, a person, a setting - you are the only decider of how that makes you feel. The only creator of the image that your nerves subconsciously piece together. All art forms will effect people in different ways. So for someone to note my opinion as wrong, I can only say deserves a sour blog post and deep guilt in the realisation that they are 'juxtaposing' all that an art form can wish to be. Beware those of you that have chosen to do literature in September; apparently there are wrong answers in something written to induce multiple readings.

For example, Friday morning will see my first exam as an A level student. Friday morning will also witness me lie in my first exam as an A level student. It has been drilled into us that we must, and at the soonest opportunity, 'make it clear to the examiner that we know the difference between Plath being a confessional poet and Hughes being solely observational'. Observational meaning he writes only about the subject of the poem - no metaphors or hidden insinuations about life. Meaning that come Friday morning, I am to put pen on paper, and recite the well rehearsed quote: 'Hughes is an observational poet'. Something that holds but an ounce of truth in my mind.






Take 'Snowdrop' by Ted Hughes, "a sweet poem written literally about a plant, holding no sentimentality  or emotion", a confident statement. Until we notice that this sweet poem draws parallels with behaviorisms of Plath, or more famously in a misogynistic 60s society, Hughes' suicidal wife. But moving swiftly on, we are compelled to believe that quotes such as 'she, too, pursues her ends' and 'head heavy as metal' have no link whatsoever to the depression or suicide of Plath. That Hughes unfolded such delicately drawn images without thinking once of his recently passed beloved.

Many a time have I debated this with my lecturer and many a time have I given further examples of 'observational poetry'. However I do not blame my lecturer as I will not shoot the messenger; these are the views of the exam board, which continues the cycle, and I am left on Friday morning making false deductions with a warped opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment